I have not blogged in a while but felt a new rush of energy to do so while following a friend’s blog of his sabbatical while touring southeast Asia. What a crazy month July was. Spent so many days celebrating anniversaries, hitting fitness goals, watching the Democratic and Republican conventions, 4th of July, watching various movies as part of the summer blockbuster release extravaganza and in the end discovering Stranger Things. I definitely experienced life in full this month. I hope to carry the energy and momentum deep into the second half of this year.
Training with others is now a thing I enjoy. I used to be so adamant about training on my own. I appreciate now the accountability and mutual motivation that comes from training with a friend. I would say that now 33-50% of my time is spent training with others; days I might otherwise miss just procrastinating due to fatigue or similar reasons.
The other lesson learned this week is to speak up on political topics. I have sat too long on the sidelines just letting people put out all sorts of misinformation, intolerant views and bigoted comments. I am not actively campaigning for anyone candidate but I am actively campaigning against the cowardly ones.
3 Pillars Accomplishments
- Workouts galore. A combination of ClassPass, training with friends and clear and simple goals. Hit targets not seen in over a year. I was especially impressed that I was able to push through the month given that I had kind of gnarly bike crash during one of my rides and lost a some skin. 3 miles of swimming, 231 miles of biking, 90 miles of running and walking. Feeling pretty fit and considering some half marathons and triathlons. But first, I want to get back to consistently strength training twice a week and hitting a combined 70.3 miles of training. Also thinking about going with ClassPass exclusively.
Finished a great quarter of productivity, go-lives, and sales. Hosted an end of Quarter Party at the house which went off well. Looking forward to building some great tech with this crew. Scaled back the travel a lot also. Trying not to go insane. Also said goodbye to the interns. We had a great bunch this year and hope we can hire some of them when the finish with school.
- Discovered Stranger Things and I am totally hooked. Also discovered some great new in-town dining spots like Bread & Butterfly, King + Duke, The One Sushi +, and Chai Pani. It was also very cool to catch up with some friends from high school and elementary school. In fact, I spent a lot of time going through nostalgia and cycling through the neighborhoods I grew up in. Must be getting old and sentimental.
- What did I learn?
- Training with others is great. Intolerance and ignorance sucks. Patience is key.
- What did I do to help my future?
- Plan ahead and outsource tasks that take too long and distract me from my other goals like blogging.
- How did I help someone this week?
- Training with friends getting into cycling and taking them for a loop around Stone Mountain Park.
- Who do I love?
- John Oliver for telling it like it is.
- What am I grateful for?
- Recovery aids like L-Glutamine, ice baths, massages, adjustments.